Monday, August 24, 2009

Shrooming

I spent a lot of time out in the woods hunting for mushrooms in Maine, much to the chagrin of my in-laws and annoyance of my husband. Mushroom hunting is a great activity for anyone with a hopeful streak of OCD, especially if you don't mind taking very small gambles against an Audubon Society field guide, crouching in the dirt with mosquitos, and some labor-intensive dirt removal. It's a also fun way to have a low-carbon-footprint meal.

I learned about chanterelles from my aunt and uncle, Ute and Hans, while travelling with them in Sweden as a teenager. I decided it was time to branch out, so busted out my new above-mentioned field guide and set about gathered specimens that were either unique, pleniful and/or and interesting-looking (to improve the chance of positive identification).



Once identified, I cooked a small amount - one - up and ate myself to confirm no any adverse reactions. This is the government-approved way to proceed when testing a food when you're not 100% sure it won't kill you, if you're ever stuck in the woods and not sure what to eat.

I discovered the painted siullus mushroom which had a slight slimy beef flavor when cooked, which were great on top of hot dogs with coleslaw.



And cooked up a lot of coral mushrooms - these looked like brain with a nice texture - these were all over the place, but intertwined with bits of dirt. And, yes, I also found a couple chantrelles, mixed in below.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time you made chantrelles for me - also in Maine. They were the best. No one would eat them but you and me. Once the others knew that we didn't die, they were jealous that they didn't try any. They were amazing! mama

Meg said...

I can't believe that you found chanterelles! What a treat. So glad that you had a good quiet time hunting for mushrooms in the woods.

Anonymous said...

eating wild mushrooms...that's ballsy. good work. (off to pick sumac this weekend, but that's not nearly as dangerous as it sounds).
-jamie